Breakfest for Hanna
Jamaican Beef Patty Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR BEEF FILLING:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon Accent
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2 ozs escallion
- 2 small hot peppers
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- half a loaf french bread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grind escallion and hot peppers in a mincing mill.
- Add to ground beef with salt.
- Place meat in a saucepan making a well in the center into which place 4 sprigs of thyme.
- Cook without adding any water or fat until meat has lost its broth and only certain amount of oil remains.
- Pour off excess oil and add this to the paprika to be used later on, strained for coloring meat.
- While meat is being cooked, pour sufficient cold water over bread in a saucepan to cover and soak for a few minutes, then squeeze dry, saving water.
- Pass bread through mincing mill and return the ground bread water with 4 sprigs of thyme and cook until bread is dry.
- Combine meat and cooked bread.
- Add color, paprika in sufficient quantity to color the meat to taste.
- Cook together for a further 20 mins.
- Add Accent . Remove from fire. Cool for filling pastry
INGREDIENTS FOR PASTRY:
- 11 ozs suet (beef fat or shortening)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup iced water
- Trim all skin and fatty membrane from suet and set overnight in freezer.
- Next day, with a very sharp knife shave suet as finely as possible.
- Combine salt and flour, then work in suet as you would shortening in plain pastry, cutting it in with two knives.
- Add iced water in sufficient amount to have a dough which can be rolled out.
- Form into a ball and with a rolling pin, pat gently, turning the dough over once or twice in order to have it all properly held together.
- Set overnight wrapped in wax paper in freezer.
- Next day, pull off enough dough (after defrosting) to roll into a circle the size of a breakfast saucer.
- Dip dough in flour before rolling.
- Roll quite thin and cut in a circle. (use saucer for help) In the center of each circle place a spoonful of meat, fold dough over to form a crescent shape seal edges with egg white or by crimping the edge and folding dough slightly under.
- Do not prick the pastry.
- Bake on ungreased tin sheet in a hot oven for about 35 mins.
- This recipe will make about 3 dozen regular patties. if cocktail patties are needed, use a smaller cutter than a saucer.
- Serving 3 dozen regular size patties.Try different fillings for experiment.
Recipe from http://www.jamaicans.com